Ten Things We’re Thankful For This Year
As Thanksgiving and the season of charity approaches, we’ve decided to look at this past year and reflect on everything we’ve accomplished. Here are ten things we’ve been fortunate enough to facilitate here at IBA:
- We rallied together after Hurricane María devastated Puerto Rico to created the Massachusetts United for PR Fund, which raised over $2 million dollars in just one month. We were so humbled by the outpouring of concern for our community matched with everyone’s eagerness to help with relief efforts.
- The Boston Foundation helped us kick off our 50th Anniversary celebration with a generous sponsorship of $25,000! We also revealed dates for our Historical Forum, Festival Betances, and Anniversary Gala later next year.
- Our amazing YDP Peer Leaders created a mural about teen violence which now hangs in O’Day Park.
- We partnered with The Theatre Offensive to bring two plays portraying the lives of Latinx LGBTQIA figures, both performed by Josean Ortiz.
- We introduced our new and improved College and Financial Empowerment program, which seeks to provide low-income families with the tools they need to manage their finances.
- We were thrilled to be selected by the Boston Housing Authority to revitalize the West Newton/Rutland Streets project in the South End. This two year project will renovate 146 units as part of our mission to provide high quality living space.
- We were awarded the funds to create our Espacio Abierto grant, which will allow Latinx artists in need of free rehearsal and performance space to use Villa Victoria Center for the Arts. You can apply here.
- We saw the success of our Youth Program pay off as we watched graduates go on to college. You can read an interview with Ladi about his involvement with IBA and his plans for the future here.
- The Boston Police Department joined us for another One Hood tournament, where our All-Stars put their skills to the test and made lasting connections with the officers.
- We partnered with the Berklee Global Jazz Institute this past week to bring together Grammy award-winning jazz artists in Boston for a one-night-only concert to raise fund for relief efforts in Puerto Rico.
All of these incredible achievements would not be possible without your support. If you wish to donate to IBA on this #GivingTuesday, you can do so here. You can also sponsor our 50th Anniversary Celebration all year long. Read the full list of sponsor benefits here. Remember, no amount is too small.