|JOB TYPE||Full Time|
POSITION: ACADEMIC COORDINATOR (Full-time/Non Exempt)
RESUME AND COVER LETTER WILL BE ACCEPTED UNTIL POSITION IS FILLED
ORGANIZATION DESCRIPTION: IBA–Inquilinos Boricuas en Acción empowers and engages individuals and families to improve their lives through high-quality affordable housing, education, and arts programs.
JOB SUMMARY: The Academic Coordinator is responsible for engaging students in appropriate educational pathway. S/he will provide supportive and skills development to bridge students into college and career exploration by: coaching students in developing educational/financial goals, and plans to achieve them through one-on-one sessions. S/he is responsible for the daily operations of the Technology Center tracking and reporting usage, maintaining equipment, teaching, and providing support on a variety of computer applications and technologies. S/he assists and support implementation of workshops and classes to address programs-specific needs and/or educational in alignment with IBA’s Mission. S/he supports IBA’s partnership with Bunker Hill Community College (BHCC) and Timothy Smith Network (TSN). Reports to the Director of College and Financial Empowerment Program.
- Prepares students to apply to college and helping with the application process.
- Provides college and financial persistence coaching through at least the first semester of students’ college career; regularly meets with students to develop action plans, track progress, and provide individualized assistance.
- Develops academic, financial and life plans with students to assist them in attaining their goals.
- Helps students navigate BHCC campus and the support services offered there.
- Hosts college orientations and tours for new students.
- Leads the design, development, and execution of workshops, seminars, and events.
- Coordinates and supports students including, but not limited to, advising, registration, financial aid and admissions, HiSet programming, college courses, tutoring, coaching and other activities designed to enhance academic performance.
- Meets regularly with students about progress, attendance and other challenges that may interfere with academic achievement and develops action plans to overcome obstacles.
- Maintains confidentiality of organization matters, students, volunteers and others.
- Exhibits genuine concern for students and always conducts oneself appropriately and professionally.
- Develops and maintains comprehensive knowledge of community resources; provides information, referrals and follow-up as needed.
- Works with program director to recruit, train, and supervise mentors/tutors who aid students in IBA’s College and Financial Empowerment Program.
- Operates and manages the technology center, opening/closing, schedule, providing/arranging coverage, maintenance, user information, security, privacy, data integrity, use of licenses and compliance.
- Supports students and community members including, but not limited to, computer tutoring, and other technology related activities designed to enhance academic performance; and engage them in meaningful skills development activities.
- Assesses and monitors the needs of the users in the community to provide relevant and appropriate programming.
- Assures that the equipment is well kept and timely arranges for the systems to be upgraded.
- Works actively as a strong referral contact person to all IBA’s educational programs in accordance to IBA’s mission and student needs.
DATA AND MONITORING
- Identifies trends, action plan, referrals and follow up.
- Implements program logic model. Ensuring outputs/outcomes and client’s goals are met.
- Support with data management that enable high quality, accurate data collection, entry and integration.
- Tracks the technology center utilization, including computer-usage, attendance to classes, etc. Prepares the necessary management reports as required by the director.
- Provides outreach, recruitment, information and intake to potential students.
- Establishes linkages with other local community organizations, agencies and social service providers as well as create and maintain referral processes with service providers.
- Represents the organization at meetings as needed.
- Supports Director with grant, reporting, clerical task, staff supervision and events for all IBA programs and administration.
- Participates fully in the organization’s annual events, Three Kings Day, Membership Drive, Board Election, Festival Betances, and other events related to the community.
- Carries out ad hoc duties as needed.
SKILLS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s in Education, Social Science, Humanities, or related field preferred
- Two or more years of direct experience providing instruction and youth development to urban youth in community-based organizations, particularly in the area of college bridging and coaching.
- Knowledge and experience working with low-income, ethnically diverse communities required.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish, preferred.
- Excellent computer/technology, verbal and written communication skill, required
- Experience working with educationally underserved learners, preferred.
- Significant program leadership and management experience in community development, urban education, technology and/or arts, and high-performing non-profit is a plus.
- Ability to translate executive-level organizational goals into specific program initiatives.
- Must be extremely organized and demonstrate attention to detail.
- Must demonstrate a positive and productive attitude.
- Ability to work autonomously and in a team setting.
- Good moral character, mature judgment and a strong sense of responsibility and dedication.
- Highly positive and enthusiastic style; capable of motivating others.
- Strong writing skills.
- Customer Services oriented.
HOW TO APPLY:
Send your cover letter and resume to:
IBA-Inquilinos Boricuas en Acción
405 Shawmut Avenue
Boston MA, 02118
FOR THIS AND MORE JOB OPPORTUNITIES VISIT: